Sketchpad Assignment 2
These summaries recap two introductory lessons with advanced seventh-graders in which Geometer's Sketchpad was used as a tool.
- Go through the materials using Sketchpad to re-enact each situation. Play with the constructions and reflect on the instructional interactions described in the summaries.
- Re-read the discussions. If you only read the discussions without having played with the situation then you will not have a clear sense of these students' experiences, and hence you will not have a clear sense of how the discussions were grounded in the studentsÕ experiences.
- What "big ideas" did these students encounter? (Some of these ideas might not have been discussed explicitly, but are there nevertheless.)
- Part II Practicing basic constructions.
- Practice these constructions using Sketchpad. Click on the links to download GSP sketches that get you started. :
- Play with the AAS Ambiguity sketch to understand why "Angle-Angle-Side" is an ambiguous relationship and is sufficient to guarantee similarity of two triangles, but not congruence.